Welcome

I'm excited to be starting this class. I have lots of ideas, but have always been nervous about taking the first step in putting the words on paper, rather making those first few keystrokes. I hope that this blog will serve as a useful medium for me to share my ideas and get feedback that will help me to become a better writer and educator.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Lesson Plan

Picture Poem


Objectives

  • To use our Elements of Art and Principles of Design to visually assess the qualities of the painting
  • Discuss the positives and the negatives of the painting
  • T write a poem that describes the painting with visual language


Process

As a class we will take a look at Vincent Van Gogh’s painting Starry Night. Using our Elements of Art and Principles of Design we will analyze the painting. How Van Gogh applied the paint, how the image is balanced, why he cropped the image the way he did, the use of color, etc. 10 Minutes


We will then move in to discussing what the positives and negatives are about the piece. Students are asked to give concrete examples about why they liked something or what they disliked. For example say: I really liked the darker colors because it reminds me of a dark evening where the only light is from the stars and moon. Not, I like it because its cool. The word ‘cool’ tells us nothing. 10 Minutes


The last half of the class we will be concentrating on writing a poem. In this poem the students will try to ‘show’ the painting Starry Night with visually descriptive language. I will emphasize the process of good word choice and how it can either make or break the poem. Upon completing the poem the reader should be able to visualize the painting in their head.

No comments:

Post a Comment